The short version: I am not accepting new speaking engagements for the next year.
The longer version: I am accepting no new speaking engagements beyond those I have already committed to, unless they can be pre-recorded.
The long version: On Friday I am having surgery to find out if a recent “suspicious” scan indicates remaining cancer. Hopefully, it is nothing. It could, however, indicate the need for additional treatment. In any case, it has become clear in the past month that I cannot simply return to life as usual following my chemo. To remove some uncertainty, and to prevent leaving folks in a lurch, I’m not taking any new engagements.
For now, the plan is to keep those few dates that I have accepted (assuming a negative biopsy). I will only accept new engagements that I can videoconference into, and where a recorded version of my remarks is acceptable as a back-up.
Last year I had to cancel too many engagements. I have organized conferences, and I know how hard a last minute cancelation is. Even if this biopsy is negative, I know that for the next few months (years really) it will be a wait and see situation.
I still hope to be involved in the field, and hope to travel to conferences. However, my focus is on my family and recovery first. I will let you all know how I am doing as well.
I will also never write an “all clear” blog post again…they appeared to be cursed.